Sunday, October 31, 2021

10/31/2021 Sunday Marilyn's Rabbit Island Observations

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 11:50 am to 1:30 pm. It was a gorgeous day with mostly sunny skies and fairly strong breezes. No surf near the island today.


There were 3 HMS in the 1BS region today, I think the same 3 HMS that were there yesterday.

On the Lanikai side of the group was an Unknown Subadult (USA): subadult size, newer coat, two tags. Again I'm not sure of gender. At first I was leaning towards male, then later female, so it goes as unknown. I wish this seal would give me a full ventral view with no sand.

Next was Adult Male 1 (AM1): adult size, old coat with lots of green in the rear flipper area, and one tag on the RRF. I never got a view of the ventral side today, but I have no doubt this is the AM I have been seeing lately.

The next HMS was Adult Male 2 (AM2): adult size, new coat, two tags and light gray male belly. I believe this is the seal I called Unknown Adult (UA) yesterday.

No comments: