Sunday, October 31, 2021

10/31/2021 Marilyn's Rabbit Island Observations from Saturday 10/30

I did Ka'ena Point with Lesley and Diane on Saturday morning.


I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from 2:40 to 3:45 pm on Saturday afternoon. It was mostly sunny with some passing clouds and gentle breezes. There were at least a half dozen surfers enjoying the north swell off the Lanikai end of the island, but no one went on the island while I was there.

Initially there were just two HMS in the area Lanikai side of 1BS when I started viewing. At 3:07 pm I noticed that a third HMS had shown up almost directly down from the 1BS.

The seal furthest Lanikai side of the 1BS was an Unknown Subadult (USA): subadult size, newer coat, two tags. Because the ventral side was covered with sand, I could not determine the seal's gender.

The second seal was an Adult Male (AM), presumably the same one I have been seeing of late.  Adult size, old coat, brown male belly and one tag in the RRF.

The seal that arrived at 3:07 pm was an Unknown Adult (UA): adult size, new coat, two tags. The seal had a lighter ventral side, but again the sand on the belly did not allow me to determine gender.

No comments: