Friday, October 1, 2021

10/01/2021 (PART 3) Friday Marilyn's Rabbit Island Update

Today is the first day on my retirement.

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 11 am to 1 pm. It was generally sunny with passing clouds and breezy.

There were 7-8 seals on RI today. There were several relocations that made it difficult to keep track of the seals.

When I first started viewing there were three monk seals on RI.

Between 3BS and SRI were two HMS:

Subadult Male (SAM): subadult to adult size, new coat, light male belly and two tags. This seal may have a CC scar on the right rear side. 

The SAM hauled out to Adult Female 1 (AF1): adult size, medium gray female belly and two tags. They traded places during my viewing session.

In a tide pool next to SRI was a Subadult Female (SAF): juvenile to subadult size, light female belly, not sure about tags. I noticed at 12:09 that this seal had left SRI.

At 12:18 pm, a juvenile to subadult seal with two tags hauled out between 3BS and SRI but closer to 3BS. I think this probably was the SAF that had been at SRI.  I never got a good view of the belly, but I think this is SAF.

At 11:29 am, I noticed that a juvenile seal hauled out onto LPB from a tide pool in the rock flats. I think this was a female and I have labeled it Juvenile Female 1 (JF1). JF1 had a light belly, but I was never sure about tags.

At 12:19 pm, two adult seals hauled to to the JF1: Adult Male (AM): adult size, older coat, not sure about tags. And Adult Female 2 (AF2): adult size, light female belly and again I'm not sure about tags. There was a lot of moving around between the 3 HMS. The JF1 headed across the rock flats and entered the water. A short time later, the two adults also entered the water. They were all gone by 12:38 pm.

Then at 12:51 pm a juvenile seal with no tags hauled out near 3BS. I think this might have been JF1, but I called it JF2.  I'm confused; are you?


No comments: