Saturday, October 9, 2021

10/09/2021 Saturday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

We had an early start today. A UH group and I met at the gate at 6AM to head out to the point to band Wedge-tailed Shearwater chicks. And so we did successfully till 2PM. I don't have the numbers yet, but it seems it was only a small percentage of the chicks we have out there - possibly in the thousands. The photo with a chick is Team T&D's Chicky, I made a point of asking to handle it ðŸ˜‰

I was able to sneak off at lunch break to look around, right then we had a downpour. So I gave up.
At the end of the day, I'd documented 5 seals
RO40 Ka'ena and RL74 Kami were on some reefs sleeping together but apart.
RW02 PVKauai was joined by R330 Squinty for a sand peeling while they were resting on a sandy beach.
Not far from them alone on his beach R407 Kawika was going thru the same sand peeling process.
The 4 males seen today are all in a pre-molting stage.
More soon - Be Safe ðŸŒºðŸ˜·

No comments: