Tuesday, September 11, 2018

9/11/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

R330 “Squinty” D4m 10%  - moved back to Ka’ena side of CE Pt in the wee hours of the morning but not before leaving me a signed trail in front of the house.
Signs were left from yesterday and he made a point of hauling out passed them.

I headed to the NARS checking favorite haul out spots.

Little RK88 “Puna” was hauled out @ Hidden Beach sleeping peacefully. His wound was hidden under him, so I couldn’t see it. I had a good look at the rest of his body and there were NO other new scars. He was there when I checked on my why back
 
RK36 “Kauai Kolohe” was logging (using the old good term) in a shallow BG’s Pool. Tide was still very low. He was still there on my way out.

At the point RO40 “Ka’ena” was hauled out at the entrance of the Main Pool. Completely dry – must have been there for a longtime. He was like a guardian dog to the entrance of the pool. Hikers/tourist were delighted to see him.

Back out side the gate I checked on “Squinty” and he was fine.

I came up to get out of the sun for a while and on the nick of time because there was a 5 mnts downpour. I took my tennis shoes off and heard a big roar coming from way down the road.
Ohhhh Noooo a motorcade!!  from the porch I saw them go by so I slip my fliflops on and off I went.
I made it down the driveway and they were heading back 50+ bikes and a truck zoomed by. I followed them down the road and stopped to check on “Squin… ohoh there’s another seal there!
R330 “Squinty” was very alert and moving around, the other seal was RG40 “Holokai” I stayed for a while watching them. No interaction and “Squinty” settle down.

I noticed a Coast Guard chopper go by and come back doing a circle. I went to get my binoculars
I spotted what they were looking at. It was a 2-place kayak drifting with no one on board. I waited and watched for nearly an hour. It was coming this way and eventually was going to wash on shore here. I did the calls and ended up with the Coast Guard, the Kayak was washed ashore right in front of our place not before being tumbled in the last wave spilling all its contents.  I pulled it out, fished what I could and photo documented it as requested for the Coast Guards. A police officer showed up, followed by the Life Guards. They took it away.
Good news is so far no one was called in missing. The canoe could have been part of a bigger boat equipment (they don’t have to be registered).

I went down for one more check on the boys and found 2 young ladies playing catch ball with 2 dogs right beside the seals. Another outreach and asked them to please leave.

Hope we won’t be hit to hard by Olivia. Stay safe and dry.  More tomorrow 🌺

No comments: