Monday, September 24, 2018

9/24/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Went down this morning and found R330 "Squinty" and RK40 "Napua", both overnighted 100mts from each other
"Squinty" was already moving around while "Napua was in a deep sleep. He started sniffing the air and moving in her direction. I sat down on the dune and watched. It was quite a way so he decided to use the water way. He entered and swam towards her, sneaking up on her. She jumped startled but was OK with him. He rolled a little into the water and she followed him. A fun play session started.
I left to go on doing my monitoring. Spoke to several people on the way and had good laughs with the fishermen.
At Hidden Beach, RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out in the corner of the beach. It took me a while to confirm his ID cause all the "signs" I was looking at were the same as RK36 "Kaui Kolohe".

Went I headed back a couple of hours later I found "Squinty" & "Napua" freshly hauled out in front of the house. They were on the waterline and every set made them move to higher grounds.

Did a sunset check, "Napua" was still there and "Squinty" had left. Further down the beach towards CE Pt side RG40 "Holokai" was hauled out all dry and in a deep sleep.  
More tomorrow🌺


No comments: