Monday, September 10, 2018

9/10/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

R330 "Squinty" found a nice quiet place to overnight at Birth Beach / Tables. He later moved down towards our side of Camp Erdman Pt. When I checked on him in the early afternoon several people were inside a SRA that had been put up but there was no volunteer there. Signs were visible from the road so visitors were stopping to see what was going on. I informed the Hotline.
In the late afternoon I had moved towards the front of our right beach access.
His molt is very slow on D3 I would say a conservative 5% by the end of the day - after all that moving around.

Next I found RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" hauled out at Hidden Beach. He could also be starting a molting behavior. He was no longer there when I came back a couple of hours later.
Last year he started his molt here and left, showing up @ Elbow Beach TBR to finish his molt beside RT10 "Ua Malie" who was also molting.
Last year we had 4 seals molting here "K.Kolohe, Squinty, BG and PVKauai" - Birth Beach stank !!

At Ponds I found little RK88 "Puna" - he has a new wound that looks like a third eye on the left side of his neck just behind his ear. It looks like a tear and should mend fast. Another scar for IDing him. He had also left when I checked on my way out

RO40 "Ka'ena" was stretched out at the entrance of his pool. When I check again he was in the exact same position.

It was one of those BEAUTIFUL days this morning, the sea was calm, the sets were rolling in perfectly, the colors of the ocean and the sky were all shades of turquoises, greens and blues. Later during the day the wind picked up, the ocean was full of white caps and we can feel a storm brewing.   More tomorrow🌺


 Oh I wonder if the one on Rabbit Island is any relation?

No comments: