Friday, May 28, 2021

05/28/2021 (PART 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 Friday before a 3 day weekend = very busy

In the seal world day started checking the beach and finding RW02 PVKauai - he may have overnighted.
Next check on RL42 Leia & P03 Puka D17 they were making the best out of the low tide where mom could rest on wet reefs while Puka played in tide pools. In the afternoon they moved up on the sand
I found overnighted RO40 Ka'ena and RL98 Lina together they alternated shallow water and sleeping on the sand always side by side.
R3CX Nalu was sleeping away on some reefs a U/U came up to him but he never noticed. U/U turned and left.
The surprise was to see a seal hauled out on the opposite side of M&P beach. I went around
to check and saw a NB on rear flipper and assumed RG40 Holokai. The volunteer on duty didn't know who it was so I took her over from where I had seen him to show her before giving the ID away, right then it moved his flippers and showed a tag....to my surprise it was a N45. I checked with Barbara does RN44 have a NB like Holokai's ? Yes he does. Next was one of the weirdest seal actions I've seen. RN44 was sleeping and suddenly he jump in the air as if air lifted and moved to the water as fast as he could. The volunteer and I were watching, and I pointed out that his penis sticking out. I zoomed in on where he had been lying down and there was a crab hole with a couple of crabs there. He may have been "attacked" by a crab. He stayed in the water a couple of minutes and hauled out a little further down the beach.
Have a safe and fun long weekend ๐ŸŒบ

No comments: