Friday, July 10, 2020

07/10/20 Friday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was a calm human day but an active HMSeal one, 12 sightings for 7 seals.
RG40 Holokai overnighted down in front. While I was documenting him a pair of Spotted Rays were “playing” right in front of him. He never even noticed them. When I came back in the afternoon, he was no longer here.
PO4 Kai D79 was sleeping hauled out on the little PkgLot/ Mokulē'ia sand cove, he was still there on my way back in the afternoon. He must have had a long night!
RK40 Napua was at 10Mns Beach and was still there in the afternoon. She is green as a kermit and may be getting ready for her first catastrophic molt.
RN58 Luana overnighted at Hidden Beach, she had left when I came back
RK36 Kauai Kolohe was doing the hippo in the Main Pool. Visitors told me there was a second seal there on the reefs. I did not see it. While I was there KKolohe put his head up vocalized and left the pool.
On my way back I saw RO40 Ka'ena entering BG's Pool. He settled down and went to sleep
Back at Hidden Beach RK36 Kauai Kolohe was freshly hauled out in the same spot Luana had been in the morning
At 10Mns Beach I checked on RK40 Napua and just as I was leaving a big seal hauled out beside her it was RE74 Benny. She ignored him so he turned around rolling, entered the water and left towards Mokulē'ia.
Back @ Lyman’s RN58 Luana was hauled out near the end of the beach and a seal was heading into the water – it was RE74 Benny.
Benny swam all the way to CE Pt near the waterline bobbing his head up and down a Benny Trademark. He hauled out at 2 meters from a couple that was sitting down on beach chairs. I made it there just on time to ask them to please back up slowly. They did and Benny never even did one look at them. Talk about a seal that knows humans and does not mind them at all. The couple was the only people in a very long stretch of beach. HE CHOSE TO GO THERE where they were. Luckily, they took it as something very special and moved. I had a good Q&A with them.
From there across the bay I saw a seal haul out right in front of the house and pointed it out to them.
When I made it there it was RN58 Luana that had relocated.   I called it a day.  More tomorrow 🌺


No comments: