Thursday, July 16, 2020

07/16/2020 Thursday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

When I first stepped down on the beach it was seal free... I haven't seen it like that for months !
I walked down Lyman's West towards BB/Tables but before I made it there, I saw a familiar small seal trail. Followed it with my eyes and there was PO4 Kai D85 snoozing away in Luana's Tide Pool in very little water since it has been covered in sand for the past week.

Out at the point I found little RL74 Kami on some reefs at Holokai's Cove. Hours later when I rechecked, she was no longer there. 
RO40 Ka'ena was hauled out on reefs between Nihoa and BG's Pools. He has a new little wound, like a little tare on his chest under his LFF, nothing serious.
Team T&D caught up with me and we did some monitoring together.
On our way back we went to look for Kai and came up on RW02 PVKauai and RN58 Luana at Lyman's West. I went down to do some outreach with a family having a beach day and saw PO4 Kai a little past them. From where we were looking on the hill, we didn't see him because of their tent.

Before leaving we went to BB/Tables, RK40 Napua was hauled out on the waterline - there was a little crab walking on her back and she woke up, took one look around and went back to sleep.

I include 2 photos of the Ma'o / Hawaiian Cotton plant and it's beautiful cotton.   More tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: