Saturday, August 4, 2018

8/4/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Had another long day.
Started by checking down @ Camp Erdman there was NO seal trails. Then I looked around for RK40 "Napua" she was MIA today.
My first look at 10Mnts seemed seal free, then just as I was leaving from the corner of my eye I saw flippers behind the Naupaka. It was our beautiful girl RN58 "Luana" in her new coat.
It started to rain heavily but I stood ground and went on.
First smelled then stopped to check the (dead) White Tip Shark was in the same place, a little buried from rolling in the sand at high tide, crabs were having a feast.
At Ponds RK88 "Puna" (M) was in the same spot as yesterday, on the pebble beach. He looks so small but has had some great swimming & exploring adventures.
In the NARS RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out at the entrance of his pool.

I hiked the west side again today all the way to the gate. This time I documented every single cove to map them out.
While I was heading that way, I could see gigantic smoke clouds coming from behind Makaha - in the late afternoon I drove to Haleiwa and on my way back I could see smoke from behind Mt Ka'ala all the way to the point.
There were NO seals on the west side of KPt - while I was there

Hours later heading back I saw RO40 "Ka'ena" in the Main Pool. There was a swim by who I IDed after downloading my pics as RE74 Benny !!
RK88 "Puna" was still in the same place and RN58 "Luana" was near the waterline at 10Mnts Beach.  More tomorrow 🌺

 Beautiful View

No comments: