Wednesday, August 22, 2018

8/22/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

I went out very early this morning. Just as I stepped down the beach in front of the house I saw a sea shining on the beach towards the Big Camp site. It was RN58 "Luana". There were no trails up and down the beach so she was probably freshly hauled out.
At 10 Mnts Beach I saw a seal in the waves making it's way to haul out, it was RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" he did a loop around the beach, went back in the water and swam towards Mokuleia - my gut said he was going to find "Luana"
In the NARS I found R330 "Squinty" in a little tide pool beside Nihoa's Beach.
When I got to the point I found RK40 "Napua" hauled out on the coral beach on the waterline. A little further in a bigger pool RW02 "PVKauai" was sleeping.
There was a seal bopping his head up and down the out side pool. There must have been some communication between him and "PVKauai" cause he left, swam around and came back a couple of times. He finally entered the Main Pool did a swim around and left. He swam on the outside part of the reefs towards where "Napua" was sleeping. There I had a clear view of the opaque left eye: R330 "Squinty" !!
After several attempts he gave up and left. I did not see him again. The other 2 barely moved .

On my way back I went to check on "Luana" and my gut feeling was confirmed, there lying beside her was "Kauai Kolohe"
In my late afternoon check they were still there.

We closed the vehicles access into Ka'ena Pt today because of "Lane". DLNR told us to stay home for 2 day, so I get to sneak down the beach to check on the kids. Of course if weather is bad I'll stay put and walk in circles in the house...

Got a call from PVS today saying that they spoke to the crew on HIKIANALIA earlier. All are doing well, have had a good time fishing and catching, Gary (the cook) has made delicious meals. If you are locked up indoors take a minute and read about their trip on http://www.hokulea.com/

 just passing through, don't mind me 


No comments: