Saturday, August 25, 2018

8/25/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was very early went I went down to check the beach. Just on time to see RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" galumph down the beach into the water he swam a little further to where RN58 "Luana" was still sleeping. He stayed there for over 30mnts, cause I went all the way to the end of Birth Beach / Tables and back and he was still there and left shortly after. She remained and I went up cause it started raining.
I went back down at noon and they were both gone.
I include a photo of trail, wallow and tide line to show how we "read" overnighted seals because I was questioned about it today.

In the afternoon as before going out to monitor the point, I stopped at the Pkg lot. There was a group of approximately 15 people all lined up on the reefs at the water ledge. Not good when the waves were crashing high there so I went to talk to them and see what was catching there attention. SHARKS they told me all excited... I was sorry to disappoint them but they were 4 BIG spotted eagle rays. When they realized that was also special they were all happy
At Hidden Beach I found RK88 "Puna" sleeping on the beach. He was still there when I came back out.

In the NARS @ Back Beach RW02 "PVKauai" was hauled out up high sleeping.
I actually reported him as RN14.... RW02's W14 tag has a "leg" of the W faded so it looks like a N14. I took a quick look at my camera viewer and called him in. Ain't the first time he does that to "us". Now doing my reports I recognized the scars on neck so I rechecked the tag photo.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº


No comments: