Thursday, August 16, 2018

8/16/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

How to share this...???...
Well early this morning I went down the beach and looked both ways, to my surprise in front of the Big Camp site I saw 2 seals - a big one and a small one. This one DB would say "Lo & Behold" it was RN58 "Luana" & RK88 "Puna" her son.
I hiked to the Bite and on my way back, 2 other seals were hauled out. RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" on the CE side of our place and R330 "Squinty" beside "Luana". Little "Puna" had moved further towards Birth Beach.
I came up to do some paper work, cool off, have a bite and go back out.
I made it down our main path looked left the trio was down there, looked to the right in "KKolohe" place was a little thing and further to CE sid a big seal. Turns out (a 3rd Lo & Behold !!!) the little thing was RK40 "Napua" a little buried by the come and go of the waves. That proves how tired and in deep sleep she was. The big seal was RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" that had moved a little towards CE side.
I must say it was hard to leave the beach but I did and hiked to Hidden Beach to check another issue and back no seals to report on that side.

Came back and all seals were in the same locations. Did some outreach with beach goers.

Will head down for sunset   more tomorrow ðŸŒº


No comments: