Monday, August 20, 2018

8/20/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was a dawn to sunset day, starting off in front of the house looking for the weaners. Birth Beach/Tables had an overnight trail to the water one of the kiddos was there.
At 10Mnts Beach RN58 Luana was in one of the reef pools. She hauled out while I was there doing outreach to a group of visitors.
In the NARS down at Back Beach little RK88 "Puna" (M) was out cold to the world. I was thinking to myself so far I've only seen mom and son, when I saw a head bobbing in the Main Pool. The seal came in swam around, left went to the outside swam in and out every cove. I was rock hopping and the tide was high so safety first I made my way back paying attention and lost site of the seal.
Hiking back I saw it's head bobbing up and down at Leia's Cove. Never called him in cause there was no ID and he was swimming. All I knew it had 2 tags (eliminating "Ka'ena" & "KKolohe). After downloading the pics I studied the scars and there was his ID : RW02 "PVKauai" is back in town !!
I did an afternoon check till the Ponds, only saw RN58 "Luana" than I made it back for a beautiful sunset.

It was a busy day and I have several reports to do.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº


 little chickies

No comments: