Friday, August 17, 2018

8/17/18 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Marilyn's Rabbit Island Update

I viewed Rabbit Island at two different times today: from 10:35 am - 12:30 pm and then again from 3:25 - 4:50 pm.

During the first session I saw 3 seals and during the second session two additional seals had appeared.

#1 - UM -started out at LPB and then moved to nearer SRI during first session; subadult, male belly, 2 tags; appears to have some sort of wound or scar on right rear side; a some what distinctive pattern to the lighter belly area.
During my second viewing session this seal joined RG32 and the UJF on the rocks right of SRI.

#2 - Unknown juvenile female; started out on rock flats to the right of SRI. Newly molted, female belly, 2 tags, juvenile size. Was alone during my first viewing session and was joined by RG32 and #1UM during my second viewing session.

#3 - UU molting subadult-adult. Was out on the rock flats to the left of LPB and was only partially visible until very late in the day when it moved onto the sand.. I was never able to determine the sex. The seal appears to be about 70% molted.

#4 - RG32; he was not present during my first viewing session. He was between #1 and #2 on the rock flats right of SRI during the second session. He was ID'd by 2 tags and applied N32 bleach on his mid-left side.

#5 - Large adult female (I think). Suddenly showed up at about 3:48 pm in the middle of LPB. When she showed her belly, I could see that the upper chest was molting. I did not see any evidence that the belly was male. I estimate overall molt at about 20%.  I am betting this is RB12 Sadie returning to RI to do her post-weaning molt. RB12 had P06 on 5/11/18. We don't know exactly when she weaned P06, but she was not present when I returned from my trip and found P06 alone on 6/26/18.

I did not see either of the RI weaners today.

Between my RI viewing sessions, I met up with Gayle who was watching RK24 in the area between Sandy Beach and Irma's beach. RK24 was going in and our of a nearshore cave. None of my photos are any good.

 #1 U/M, RG32 & #2 U/J
 #1 U/M
 #2 J/F
 #3 U/U
 #5 possible Sadie RB12
 RK24

No comments: