Tuesday, August 28, 2018

8/28/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Due to the rains Ka'ena Pt is still closed for vehicles access. Hikers have been enjoying the park entering from both sides.
We had rain all night on this side.This morning after hunkering down under a tree while a squall hit us I found a shinny rock on the Mokuleia side of Keiki Pools. It was little RK40 "Napua" (F - D116) .
Then I entered the park to monitor the roads they were very slippery and there were lots of big puddles. I made it to Hidden Beach under a second downpour - I stopped counting after this one, cause they kept coming. There high up from the shoreline was RK88 "Puna" (M - D122) sleeping peacefully. 
I watched as a hiker came walking across the beach and passed the little rock. When she came up to me we started chatting and she asked me if she would be lucky to see an endangered HMS. I smile at her, made her turn her body and waited till she saw him. She was so happy she had tears in her eyes. Some moments like this one will be cherished for ever on both sides.
In the NARS scanning the reefs I saw a seal from far in BG's Pool. My heart started beating faster... my thoughts were "she's back, BG's back..." Alas as I arrived at the top of the hill I saw it was a male. I had to wait for it to move a little to confirm RO40 "Ka'ena" ID.
further up another big seal was down on the reefs at the end of the Runway. It was R330 "Squinty". Lucky me he was on his side and I saw his NB from far.
Both weaners were in the same locations on my way back.
Many hikers were out despite the downpours, they were strong and fast ones soaked us then the wind, humidity and a little sun here and there would dry us up.  More tomorrow🌺


muddy roads

No comments: