Tuesday, May 7, 2019

May 7, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Sleep deprived and a lot of work - that's been the situation around here.
We started at 4am, because Kimo had to go to Lanai to get Hōkūleʻa and bring her back home. They crossed in over in 4.5 hrs but towing her back may take 12hrs.
I went down to check on the seals at first light and there were only wallows and trails.
My first seal was RO40 "Ka'ena" on the Runway. From there I saw my 2nd seal R366 (M) on the outer reefs of Main Pool - definitely his favorite spot.
As I made my way towards Main Beach I saw seal #3 head bobbing up and down the outside pool. It turned out to be RR70 "RIP"
He saw away, made it to the Runway took one look at RO40 "Ka'ena" turned around and went back. From the outside he made his way up on the outer reefs and finally settled down. It was a hot day and walking back and forth on the soft sand was a killer. Many visitors were out so a lot of outreach was made.
After doing my road assessment I headed out checking all the beaches and nooks. 

At Birth Beach seal #4 RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" was hauled out sleeping peacefully, I documented him and was about to leave when by the corner of the eye I saw seal #5 RN58 "Luana" swimming by, she took one look at RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" turned around and left. He never noticed she had come by. She tried several different spots to haul out and ended up hauling out near the Big Camp site. I was sitting on the Big Rock between the 2 beaches when I saw seal #6 RW02 "PVKauai" swimming by. He made his way to RK36 "Kauai Kolohe"
This one woke up barked and plunged.  RW02 "PVKauai" didn't bother or move. KK rolled into the shallow water there was a lot of guttural sounds back and forth. RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" left and RW02 "PVKauai" hauled out and went to sleep. RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" hauled out in front of our beach access.

On my mid afternoon check the three of them were hauled out along the beach far from each other. I did several checks and on the last one at sunset only RN58 "Luana" and RW02 "PVKauai" were there.    More tomorrow 🌺

No comments: