Saturday, June 20, 2020

06/20/2020 (part 2) Saturday Lesley's Ka'ena Update



Yesterday I had to cut my monitoring short to do a Shearwater rescue, poor bird was tangled in heavy fishing gear. I was able to capture him and bring him out. Adrien the vet met me at the gate and with 4 hands we managed to untangle it, we tried to release him but he didn't fly so he was taken to get some fluids and hopefully recover some strength.
My morning start with RN58 Luana @ Lyman's and RG28 Lefty and PO4 Kai D58 on Lyman's side of BB/Tables. The trio was hauled out apart from each other and no interaction was observed at the time.
At the point I saw a young seal on the flat reefs, as I was going to document it I got the call for the rescue so the seal went as a U/U.

This morning I found an overnighted RN58 Luana and RG28 Lefty here in front. I came back to get my camera and prep for going out. When I went down again Luana had Lefty was vocalizing to another seal in the water. The seal did not haul out and swam towards BB/Tables. I got there at the same time as R330 Squinty was hauling out. He cross the whole beach and settled down to sleep.
PO4 Kai D59 was in Luana's Cove playing with treasures, tossing them up and diving to catch them. As I was leaving he was swimming towards the beach.
It took me a long time to get to the point. RO40 Ka'ena was at the end of the Runway. I met Marilyn there and I went down to document another seal. It was RL74 Kami. It's always interesting to see that small girl some days like today I first thought it was Napua (RK40) by the way she was stretched out, then other days she looks so small. One look at her bellie and her scars give her away.

Marilyn and I headed out together, we were going to stop to see the weaner PO4 but I got stuck in a meeting and Marilyn had to leave.
I did a quick check here in front at sunset and didn't see any seals. Posses and fishermen told me there were many people on the beach today. They only saw seals in the early morning (the same ones I saw).    More soon ðŸŒº

No comments: