Monday, June 8, 2020

06/08/2020 Lesley's Ka'ena Update from Saturday

I started my day very early due to the permitted gate opening.
In the seal world I stopped by to check on PO4 Kai D45 (1st 5 days solo) he was foraging in the little cove and kept bringing his finds to the surface, was able to get only one shot !! Later in the afternoon I stopped by again he was hauled out and doing circles and playing with everything in front of him. He finally settled and was out cold in a short while.
On my first check at the pup site RG28 Lefty and RK40 Napua were hauled out on some rocks side by side - while observing no interaction was seen. On my afternoon check only RG28 Lefty was hauled out mid beach, I did not seen any interaction with Kai, but was told they had other visitors today and also that Lefty brought Kai a sea cucumber !
At the point RO40 Ka'ena was in BG's Pool ' He was still there hours later when I rechecked
While on Main Pool just after doing some outreach with a Dad and 5/6 kids, I told them they could enter the water but Dad had to keep an eye at the outer pool for a seal coming in and that if one did show up the kids were to walk out of the water calmly without running so they wouldn't slip on the rocks. 
My conscious told me to stick around and sure enough in 5 mints I saw a seal swimming towards the outer pool. I gave Dad and the kids the alert and they WALKED calmly out as I had told them. They got my kudos as well as from all the people on the beach. I was so wrapped up in making sure the kids were out safely that I forgot my camera. After doing "HMS" outreach I remembered the camera and got a couple of photos alas no ID was made so I have a U/U today.
On my way out I spotted a white bellie down between some rocks. It was RL74 Kami in a location I had seen her once before (a people safer one)
Thank you "Da Prez", I mean Blog Lady for the nice words the other night  ðŸ˜‰ anytime

No comments: