Sunday, November 29, 2020

11/29/2020 Marilyn's Rabbit Island Update

 I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from 11:45 am to 2:00 pm.  There was sunshine, wind and several rain showers that drove me indoors.

I saw 8 HMS on RI today, one only very briefly.  I'll report them as usual from the Lanikai to the Makapuu end of the island.

Near 3BS were:

Subadult Female 1 (SAF1): subadult size, lighter female belly, 2 tags and a newish coat.

Subadult Female 2 (SAF2): initially she was up in the morning glory, but moved down later.  Subadult size, lighter female belly, newish coat and 2 tags.  SAF1 and SAF2 appear to be of similar size and age.  Could they be RK37 and RK38?

About 50 feet further Makapuu was:

Unknown Adult Male (UAM): Adult size, darker gray male belly, newer coat and at least one tag.

Unknown Male Weaner (UMW): weaner size, lighter male belly with some green, no tags.  I'm
guessing this is PO1.

RM90/N5: small weaner size, light female belly, 2 tags and N5 bleach (did not show in photos.

Unknown Female Weaner (UFW): large weaner size, no tags, light female belly, possible N2 bleach on rear right side.  If so, this is N2 Nohea.

Briefly at RRB was an adult seal that I think was RW22 Kolohe by size and coloration, but I never saw the belly or his nb.  He was only seen for about a minute and when I looked back he was gone.

Unknown Unknown (UU): hauled out about noon at far right of RRB. I think this was a juvenile, but I never got a full view.  The seal had a very light belly which shows as a white blur in my photos.

No comments: