Saturday, November 14, 2020

11/14/2020 Marilyn's Rabbit Island Update

Here's Marilyn's first hand account of her Rabbit Island viewing:

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 2:50 - 4:00 pm.  It was sunny when I first started viewing, but then the clouds arrived and it was very overcast.

There were six HMS on RI during my viewing. Going from the Lanikai to the Makapuu end of the island there were:

On LPB:
Seal 1 - Unknown Adult - adult size and newer coat; I never saw the belly and I'm not sure about tags.

Seal 2 - Unknown Weaner #1 - weaner size, no tags, light yellow belly and older coat. I was not sure of sex. This seal moved behind Seal 1 for a while and then moved down to the water. I never got a good view of the right side to see if there was an applied bleach.

Between Middle Cliff and 3BS there were three seals:
Seal 3 - Unknown Weaner #2 - weaner size, no tags, light belly (male I think), but the weaner soon rolled over and never showed me the belly again. I did not get a good view of the right side

Seal 4 - Unknown Adult Male - adult size, old coat, darker male belly and 2 tags.

Seal 5 - Unknown Subadult - subadult size, newer coat, light belly and 2 tags. I think this was a female, but the belly was always so sandy it was hard to tell.

Near SRI:
Unknown Weaner #3 - weaner size, light female belly I think, no tags and I did not see any applied bleach.

No comments: