Sunday, June 16, 2019

June 16, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Happy Father's Day !

Yesterday I went back at sunset, met Brenda (NOAA) visiting PO2 "Kalua" - We saw him hauling out and galumphing up the beach all the way up to the Morning Glory. He played with leaves, sticks and settle for the night.

This morning on my dawn patrol it was the first place I checked for him. It took me 30 Mnts to find PO2 "Kalua" D40. He was foraging, between the glare and the waves it was a challenge. It's amazing how long weaners can hold their breath under water !!

While I was looking for him I found his big brother RK88 "Puna" hauled out near the waterline.

On a mid morning check PO2 "Kalua" was hauled out sleeping.Further down the beach R330 "Squinty" was also hauled out sleeping.
As I was documenting him I saw between the rocks way behind him a little green seal. It was RK88 "Puna" who must have been caught by the tide coming up and swam to the opposite side of the beach to haul out

I arrived just on time at sunset to see PO2 "Kalua" enter the water and go for a swim after sleeping for the whole afternoon. I left the beach after the moon came up and he was still playing in the water.
RK88 "Puna" was still sleeping among the rocks.   More tomorrow ๐ŸŒบ



No comments: