Friday, February 26, 2021

02/26/2021 Friday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 

I was surprised to find RO40 Ka'ena in his pool today - we hadn't seen him there in a long time.

Out at the point R3CX was sleeping peacefully on reefs.
Some splashing caught my eye and for the next hour or more We (me and several hikers) got to see them play. I could see RL74 Kami's new CC and was sure that the other seal was RL98 Lina due to size and her light NB on back. I won't mention how many photos I took to try to get a tag shot. I explained to the visitors what and why I was documenting the seals and told them I was going around on the upper rocks to try to get a better look at Kami and ID Lina. An avid couple took my place on the beach to explain what I was doing to the others. It was so hard due to the glare and the strong wind. We I got my shots I came back and did a very long Q&A (included Albatrosses and Whales). It is very rewarding to have people acknowledge the work we do and thank us for doing it.
Kami's wound is looking better by the day. The girls hauled out beside R3CX and settled down to sleep. He never even moved.
While surveying the Albatrosses I got to document a non-banded BFAL !
My afternoon was very intense, I'd just like to remind you to tell the ones you love you love them and kiss the kiss goodnight
More tomorrow - Be Safe 🌺😷

No comments: