Sunday, February 7, 2021

02/07/2021 (part 2) Sunday Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 

Diane & I did the park monitoring. 

We saw R330 Squinty and later RW02 PVKauai among some rocks in a tide pool,as well as lots of Albatrosses and chicks. "Our" local BFA was visiting the Laysan.
There was a lot of whale action, so it was interesting to do outreach. While talking about the seal, we'd interrupt to point a Laysan Albatross or a whale breaching.
In the late afternoon I got a call for a seal down the beach. I went down and it took an hour to be able to ID R303 BG. She had been splashed by a wave, so she was "stripped" wet & dry. She was laying sidewise but so buried in her wallow that I couldn't see her tits. Her flippers were so full of sand that if it was to be a tagged seal it wasn't visible.
The scars on her face gave me the clue, then as she dried up other scar help. But even then, I still double checked with my files. I love those challenges, but yesterday she pushed it too far, it was cold on the beach after sunset !
more soon - Be Safe

No comments: