Monday, April 18, 2022

04/18/2022 (part 2) Yesterday's Rabbit Island Update

Here is Marilyn's Rabbit Island Update from Easter Sunday, in her own words:

Here is my late report on the seals I saw on Rabbit Island on Easter Sunday, 04/17/2022. I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from about 11:30 am to 1:25 pm. The weather alternated between sunny and overcast and there were steady breezes.

There were five HMS seen on Rabbit Island. There was a lot of moving around and I may have gotten the two subadult males mixed up.

When I started viewing there was Juvenile Female 1 (JF1) on the beach between Middle Cliff and 3BS. Juvenile size, light female belly and I don't think any flipper tags. 

Behind the waterfront rocks down from 3BS, I saw only the upper portion of a seal that I am labeling Subadult Male 1 (SM1).

[There were two female seals at SRI, that I will describe in a separate message].

About 11:55 am a seal hauled out to LPB which I labeled Subadult Male 2(SM2): subadult size, not sure of gender, and two red tags. I think SM2 may be RK24 Wawamalu/Bruno but I'm not sure.

About 12 noon, the SM1 near 3BS entered the water. About 8 minutes later he hauled out at LPB to join SM2. About 12:26 pm, SM2 entered the water followed shortly by SM1.

At 12:44 pm, the two SMs joined JF1 near 3BS. They all entered the water again and then hauled out later not far away about 1:10 pm.

No comments: