Friday, February 2, 2018

2/2/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

It was 12:30 when I started my hike out to the point today. It was a very nice hike, weather had finally settled after a very wet night and morning.
I did some outreach all the way in and had 2 groups join me to ask questions about the albatross and were very happy when from one spot I told them I could see 3 seals. I then helped them a little.
RO40 “Ka’ena” was hauled out at the entrance of his pool.
Then on the Runway RG40 “Holokai” and R3CU were side by side. R3CU has a puka on his left cheek that’s healing well.
Jaime met up with me while I was trying to get some shots of RG40 “Holokai” eyes (per request) , but just as 2 days ago he was in a deep sleep so it didn’t happen. His behavior has been 100% normal.
While we were watching some whale activity with a visitor we saw some Ewa birds, at one point I thought one was coming closer to us but it’s wings were different, I jumped up and told Jaime it’s a BLACK FOOT ALBATROSS we were like kids on a playground. Jaime straight away let Lyndsey know. The visitors knew by our excitement that they were looking at something special.

Just before sunset I went down to Birth Beach but there was no sign of last nights visitor.

chickie 
 R3CU
 R3CU & Holokai RG40
 Ka'ena 

No comments: