Monday, July 26, 2021

07/26/2021 Monday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update from Friday and Saturday

 

Wherever I look visitors are around. Been having a really hard time trying to do as much outreach as possible. They want to know, they don't know, they ask, they don't ask, they respect and Malama, they are clueless... but for me the worst are some of the people who live here.  I totally agree Lesley and those who should know better, have seen it for years!

In times like this, instead of helping, they scold and are rude to visitors, think they are entitled and have special privileges. We have a weaner on this side and yesterday I had to call back up, because the "entitled" ones were the ones hovering the seals, again like they did all week despite me talking to them daily. A family of visitors didn't know why I asked people to please back up. Between wasting time with the "entitled" I went to do outreach with the visitors. Who were polite and interested in learning and had a list of questions that I was pleased to answer. 
There's so much more going on, HMS world is only a fraction

On Friday I on my monitoring I first saw RG40 Holokai and RO40 Ka'ena down in front. The kid RP30 Puka was out foraging, I spotted him playing around. Later he hauled out in a small cove where hoards of adoring fans, as DB used to say, were surrounding him. Thanks to a rain squall all ran off
Heading to the point and overnighted RL98 Lina was sleeping on the beach. Later when I saw her again, she was on the opposite side of the beach sleeping
The other seals were at the point. RL74 Kami in her little cove and to my surprise RN04 Kainoa came by for a visit. He hadn't been reported since May when I last saw him. It's always good to see him. He's one handsome dude.

Yesterday I had 11 seals: 9 IDed and 2 U/U swimmers. Day started finding RL98 Lina and RP30 Puka literally cuddle up together in a small cove where they overnighted. Back in front of the house RN58 Luana and RG40 Holokai overnighted side by side and further down the beach RG28 Lefty was sleeping away. On my last afternoon check only Holokai was on the beach. 
Heading to the point I documented RW02 PVKauai freshly hauled out on a beach where he spent the day. 
RO40 Ka'ena was on a reef, I had time to ID him just before a wave washed him and he decided to enter the water and swim away.
At the point I found RL74 Kami sleeping near the waterline. All thru the day I got several reports by visitors saying they had nearly stepped on a small green seal at the point. Not one mentioned the line and hook on her mouth. 
On my way back I saw a seal pool hoping, I watched as RK36 Kauai Kolohe swam from one pool to another until he seemed to settle down on a reef.
The 
In the later afternoon I checked on Lina and Puka - they were still there sleeping despite the hoard of adoring fans.
More soon - Be Safe and RESPECFUL out there, people will be respectful back at you.🌺

Friday 7/23 sightings
Saturday 7/24 sightings

No comments: