Friday, July 16, 2021

07/16/2021 Friday (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

On Wednesdays, my days always start before or at dawn do to park schedule. While doing so this one I spotted and overnighted RN58 Luana and foraging in shallow waters RP30 Puka

It was past noon when my meetings were over, and I was able to go down and meeting our dear visitors from Chicago: Bobbi and Steve.
Bobbi has been following the blog for many years, met DB on one of their trips to the island, has kept contact with Donna and we met at a birth site many moons ago. They joined me on my monitoring out to the point and we had a great on-site outreach and Q&A.
We saw Luana and Puka, RG28 Lefty, RK36 Kauai Kolohe and a U/U swim by. Added to that some LAAL chicks and other wildlife and restauration projects.

Yesterday I did the Mokule'ia monitoring then hiked to Keawa'ula side. Bonus on my way back I caught up with team T&D.
It was an 8 seal day: RN58 Luana and RG40 Holokai had overnighted down in front and had left by our afternoon check. RP30 Puka had been foraging and was hauling out where he spent the day sleeping. RO40 Ka'ena overnighted and was sleeping peacefully @ 10 Min. He had left by the afternoon check. RW02 PVKauai was on another beach freshly hauled out. At the point in different locations RL74 Kami was perched on some rocks (still with her Ulua bling) and R330 Squinty was fresly hauled out on a reef. On Keawa'ula side I spotted RG28 Lefty in a tide pool.
It was a very long day. Keawa'ula is a beautiful hike but a hard one coming from this side because the mountain cuts the wind and breeze off, so it's HOT. But once on you way back when you get to the big dip you feel the wind again and forget quickly how hot it was on the other side.
More soon - Be Safe 🌺

No comments: