Saturday, February 9, 2019

February 9, 2019 Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Yesterday - R353 (F) spent all day between our Mokuleia side beach access and Camp Erdman Pt. In the late afternoon I thought she was going to enter the water but she turned around and came back up the beach.

This morning at 6:15, I looked from the driveway and didn't see her so I went down to check the beach with my mug of coffee in my hand. No seals. The waterline mark of the high tide and big surf from last night was near the Naupaka line on most of the beach.

 It was a VERY long and busy day out here. I went out 3 times to Ka'ena Pt.
The only seals of the day were RL12 "Aukai" and R330 "Squinty" on Back Beach at the point.
More nets were removed out of the NARS and there's still one more trip to go

Albatross were active all day but on my last trip out this afternoon it was like a bee swarm, they were everywhere.
The big "Ha-A" moment was when I saw a Black Footed Albatross flying over me. I started photo documenting it till it landed. Zooming in on the spot I saw 2, yes 2 Black Footed Albatrosses. More documentation, one was "Blacky" the recently banded one and the other one a non banded new comer.

I'm sending you some photos of the waves and can't describe the wind and salt with them. all thru the day I saw the waves growing and the wind getting stronger.
We closed the park to vehicles in the late afternoon - tomorrow the access to Ka'ena Pt State Park will be closed on both sides - West at Yokohama and Mokuleia at Dillingham Air Field, for both cars and hikers.

Hope all of you will be safe and dry. Remember seals don't mind the weather and big waves, they will be safe.🌺



No comments: