Monday, February 18, 2019

February 18, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was a beautiful sunny dry day and lots of work awaited me.

In the early hours I went down to our front beach and found RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" overnighted right in front of the house. I came up to get ready for work and before I left I saw him making his way back into the water. I didn't see him again today.
The result of the big waves hit our beaches, plastic, plastic plastic all colors, shapes and sizes. A very sad site to see. Hard to decide what to pick up first.  I chose to do waterline big pieces from here to the NARS I piled sea debris everywhere. At the point several hikers helped clean up the Main Beach in less then 20 Mnts most of the debris was piled behind the big rock ready to be hauled out on another opportunity. Many hikers may read the blog in the morning - so to you a big MAHALO NUI LOA for your KOKUA.
There were 4 seals in different locations of the point.
RO40 "Ka'ena" was on some reefs between his pool and the Runway. There was a net near him that hopefully may be removed soon.
RN58 "Luana" was hauled out on some reefs KPt side of the Runway. Our girl is BIG. She's not often seen at the point so it was a surprise to see her there.
R330 "Squinty" was in the Main Pool on some reefs.
The big Ha-Ha moment was to find the new kid in town. He was seen yesterday and many thought it could be "Kea" but NO NBs on the rear flippers and NO tags ruled him out fast. I spent a long time watching him on his side but not enough to see his sex, finally he showed it. From far zooming in I had to sit down with my camera on my knees to get clear photos. I'll remember him for that... back is going to be painful tomorrow. 
Visitors were so pleased to hear about the seals, the changes of landscape made by the big swells, that they sat down and talked story, they repeated my outreach to the new comer's, explained why they shouldn't get to near the waters ledge, etc. 1no one wanted to leave with out the seals ID.
coconut wire was in full mode and the ID came up it was R366 (M), a young fellow seen in Molokai last week and possibly from Ni'ihau originally.
Full documentation of the kid was done and sent to NOAA.

The albatross chicks are growing fast and some are already alone while parents are out up north foraging. Many visitors were out to see the birds and had a fill. I was even able to point out a Black Footed Albatross flying over our heads back and forth. When it landed I was able to see that it wasn't "Blacky" the newly banded one but perhaps it's mate.  
More tomorrow ðŸŒº

 Good work! Always sad to see so much debris
chicky
 beautiful
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

R366 is so sweet! Any idea how old he is? A big thank you for all you do Lesley and Donna sharing the seals with us!

Donna said...

I love his bleach mark on his flipper.... looks like he is flipping off... ( no pun intended) LOL So exciting to have a new kid in the neighborhood!