Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Jan 1, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies:

Happy New Year and welcome to 2019!  This morning I woke up and realized 11 years ago on this day I was introduced to Hawaiian monk seals.  Oh what a ride it has been, all the critters, all the pups, all triumphs and yes all the losses.  In all of this I will remain forever grateful to the wonderful friends I have met and I truly consider them an extended family.  Here's to another wonderful year of seals and my monk seal ohana.  

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand, Lesley, and my Rabbit Island observation.  Lesley's update is an update from last year (12/31) and is part two.  

My Rabbit Island observations went well, I spied four critters today. One U/M to the left of the 3BS, I really want to say it was Kea again and I thought I saw a bleach on his flipper but I can not say for sure.  What is amazing... are the photos I got with Marilyn's new camera. Considering how far away from the island I was, and although they aren't in complete focus they're pretty awesome.  Marilyn I had the zoom all the way up and think the reason it worked so well had more to do with the lighting conditions.  Anyway, I spent most of the day being excited about the photos. LOL


There were three critters just right of the SRI inlet. Yesterday I referred to them as small, medium and large, .... today I was calling them Wee, Mee, and Lee.  It would only be a guess they are the same but who knows.  Again, enjoy the photos... Wee and Lee were together and Mee was to the right.  I do think they are all females, but I can not say for sure.

Team Billand didn't find a critter until late morning. Their first find was a critter on a westside beach on the rocks. They watched for a while waiting to see a tag or some indication of who this might be. The seal lifted its head and they see the scar on the right side of the face and knew it was Kekoa RK72. This is the first time they have seen him sporting his new coat, last time they saw him he was still molting. Such a handsome boy.

Team Billand headed out to continue their search and came across another critter snoozing on shore at one of the populated westside beach. Tags were showing and they ID'd RW02 PvKauai. Volunteer Melina arrived.

This afternoon Team Billand made the Ka'ena West trek. They found Ka'ena RO40 on the rocks below. There were lots of people out swimming and playing in the ponds. Ka'ena was fine, and undisturbed. Scar was ID'd by scar on right side of mouth, as his tags were not visible.

Along Team Billands travels they spotted whales, and a little mongoose enjoying some noodles. What are the chances?   BUT the big news of the day was the surprise Team Billand got when they happen across a small seal sleeping on a small sandy patch. It took a bit to get the tag shot and finally she moved and there was RJ58.... what?  Barbara was thrown off and had to check with a friend and they confirmed it was none other than Kaimana!!!  This is the first time she has been seen this far west and it was a thrill for Team Billand. She is looking good, weight and no outstanding markers. 
We're off to a great start to the new year.


 Zoom in 
 The usual shot
 u/m
 by SRI two of three greeting each other
Kekoa RK72 
 PvKauai RW02
 Ka'ena
 Kaimana RJ58 
Whales

1 comment:

b said...

Wow Miss Donna, THE BLOG LADY...you right, all your shots are great. Clear and love the greeting youngins..SWEET.

Wish the bleach boys come out again soon...MRS. DUNLAP and YOU need the hints of the bleaches from 1/8th mile away. HELLO???? Where are you BLEACH GANG????

ADIOS