Tuesday, January 22, 2019

January 22, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Another beautiful day in Hawaii Nei and also a very busy one doing outreach and looking for seals.
Just as I stepped down on the beach in front of the house I saw RG40 "Holokai" who had overnighted.
Then I made my way into the park checking nooks and favorite haul out locations.
Met up with PRC (Pacific Rim Conservation) team and got some cool updates on the Albatrosses nesting and exchanged info.

Upon arrival at the point I saw 2 seals on the reef island of Main Pool: R330 "Squinty" was the first and easy one to ID. The other seal had tags but it took a while to ID. As soon as she turned over I was wow that's RL42 "Leia" showing her lovely cigar shape. Her chipped tag  while she was bellie down wasn't helping.

Back on this side I found R016 "Right Spot" on Birth Beach. While I took my time to enjoy watching her she made her way into the water and a short while later she hauled out midway between Lyman's and Camp Erdman Pt.
From BB I saw 2 seals down at CE Pt. I was informed that they were RG40 "Holokai" and R3CU, but when I got there the supposed R3CU was actually RK36 "Kauai Kolohe". I made sure Hotline was informed and corrections were made.

That was for the seal world. In Whale world today was another spectacular Whale Watching day. Visitors at the point arrived and couldn't leave, they made themselves comfortable and watched. My binoculars went from hand to hand, he pamphlet about the Hawaiian Monk Seals followed.
At one point there were 30 people there all at once. I had the pleasure to hear visitors help with outreach repeating what I had told them about the 2 seals in Main Pool, the Albatrosses flying around and some about the whales.  More tomorrow

Whales

No comments: