Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Jan 1, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Yesterday's News Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Yesterday, or shall I say last year, while having my coffee walking down the driveway I saw a familiar shape down at Camp Erdman Point. Later when I went down to check I found an overnighted RN58 “Luana”. She departed mid morning.  I was glad not to see other seals around since many people were on the beach to celebrate the coming of the new year.

This morning I left the house just after dawn today to head out to monitor from Camp Erdman to NARS.
It was a beautiful day brake, my first sighting of the sun was it coming up thru Manini Gulch. Anuenue followed me all the way to the point and I got a couple of double ones. Albatrosses and whales put a show on today to great the new year.
It started slowly but soon flocks of hikers started making it to the point coming in from both sides.
I had seen RN30 (M – Pohaku’s kid) near Nihoa’s Pool on his favorite flats. My impression is that no one else saw him there today. I noticed during the past week that his N30 top side tag is chipped but only today I got a good shot of it.
At the point our new Juvenile  RK88 “Puna” had overnighted mid Main Beach and was quite an attraction.  Him turning into a Juvi was a conversation starter for outreach.
I can still hear my voice in my ears….
Hau’oli Makahiki Hou to all !     More tomorrow ðŸŒº

Lesley's first sunrise of 2019
 
 Puna
 looks like a bruised nose, hope he isn't trying to sniff any eels

No comments: