Tuesday, April 13, 2021

04/13/2021 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 

There was a lot going on in the ocean this morning. A competition pod of whales was in front of the house splashing around the headed towards the point at the same time that I was doing my monitoring. What a treat that was ! for over an hour I had them as companions. I counted 6 and definitely a young calf among them.

Then I did some checking on the chicks - poor kiddos what a crazy weekend they had. It was a nonstop flow of people. Today was the first calm day since Spring Break started.
In the seal world I found RL74 Kami and RG40 Holokai side by side on a small beach. Then further, on another RO40 Ka'ena was hauled out sleeping
At the point I saw a double tagged UU do a swim by but never saw where it came from or where it went to.
Has anyone ever noticed how many "dead seal" reports we have when there are more tourists around? Last week I had one or two reports or calls a day. Today NONE. Well perhaps seals were well hidden at their haul out locations, cause the park was still full of visitors
More soon - Be Safe 🌺😷

No comments: