Wednesday, April 7, 2021

04/07/2021 Wednesday Monk Seal Dailies

 I am going to apologize upfront for being brief with today's dailies. It was a long day and I have a killer headache. I will do my best to get it right.

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team R&B, Team T&D and my viewing of Rabbit Island.

Team T&D walked several miles on the north shore today and found two seals at the beginning of their hike. They were happy to see Right Spot R016 and Kauai Kolohe RK36 together. Let's just say Right Spot let him know she didn't want to be bothered, he tried but finally they both settled.

Team R&B had been looking everywhere and was coming up empty until they finally found a seal at the bay. It was Nalu R3CX resting peacefully and pooping at the same time. (hey who doesn't like a good poop).

They headed over to another westside location and found three seals. R407 Kawika was with R3CU who was getting on his nerves. Kawika was getting too close and sniffing him out. R3CU barked at him but Kawika kept at it until finally he stopped and they both went to sleep.

Just to the right was RH76 Kala sleeping and not moving. Its nice that Kawika wasn't pestering this

lovely girl.

I viewed Rabbit Island for about 2 hours and saw Mom Pua RF34 and P01 resting together by the 3BS. The kid eventually went behind mom and was hidden for the last hour.  To the right of them was a smaller size light belly female, sub adult size.  About 10 minutes into my viewing an enormous seal hauled out in from of the SA/F and went poking. It was a male, and I did not see any applied or natural bleaches, in face I am not sure if there were tags. He stayed with her for about 15 minutes then went back into the water and hauled out about 15 minutes later by the 1BS.  There had been a adult to subadult size critter at the 1BS, and after the UM hauled out it rolled so I think it was a female.   (sorry for the vagueness, but as I said I am running on empty at the moment).

Right Spot and RK36
Nalu
R407 Kawika
R3CU
Boys - R3CU and R407
RH76 Kala
Pua RF34 and P01
unknown subadult/juvenile female and big boy
subadult/adult unknown












No comments: