Wednesday, November 27, 2019

November 27, 2019 (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It has been a couple of days but I managed to get out to the point this morning.
First check at dawn was here in front where. RW02 PVKauai was there, he spent the night, when I came back in the afternoon he was down at the waterline. He has been here for the last week or so since finishing his molt. Just taking some time alone to rest and recuperate his energies.

Next I found RH36 Kawena , she hadn't been seen since last week since she was seen with a very thin line on the left side of her mouth. There was nothing today. She was nice and clean. Being a possible seal of concern I called the Hotline and sent photos in to NOAA & them.

Out at the point RL74 Kami was hauled out near the waterline on Main Beach barely visible because of the new landscaping done by the big swells.

Although I had first checked Back Beach when I arrived I missed seeing RL98 "Lina" (finally sharing her nickname "Melelina", but intend to use the short version "Lina"). I think it's because I my attention was on the big slab that the waves threw up on the beach.
Some hikers arrived while I was doing outreach with a family on Main Beach and told me there was a big seal on the beach. I went back to ID it, thinking it must be Ka'ena...no that's a small seal. She was tucked up in the Naupakas near "Puna's" favorite spot. From up on the high dunes we watched her move down and try a couple of times to make herself comfortable. It took a while and she went to sleep.
I hope both little ones get to get together again.

On my way out I stopped again at Hidden Beach and found a freshly hauled out RN58 Luana

Back at 10 Mnts Beach R330 Squinty was just hauling out right in front of Kawena. There was some interaction then they settled down.

Perhaps I'll have some time for a quick check tomorrow.
Wishing you all a HAPPY THANKSGIVING 🦃

No comments: