Monday, November 11, 2019

November 11, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

At first light I was down to look for R330 Squinty found him overnighted, nice and clean. As soon as I got documented him I called him in.
Later on I headed to the point. When I got to Hidden Beach I found 3 overnighted seals. According to some fishermen they have been there since late Saturday evening. They were RN58 Luana, RR70 RIP and RW02 PVKauai (molt 60%). I spent a long time there doing outreach.
On my way to the point I came across Lindsay, she told me the 1st Albatross landed today. I was also told by hikers that a little non tagged female seal was at the point.
As soon as I entered the NARS and Albatross flew over me, further one I saw one sitting among some bushes out of passers eye sight. I waited patiently and he finally stood up and showed me his tag.
I made it to the point just on time to document this beautiful little U/F. She has 2 very small NBs one on her LFF and the other mid body left side the size of a dot. She also has a light L shape scar on her back. She looks VERY young , I'll leave it to sensei to let us know if it's a very young juvenile (a 2018 pup) or and early weaner (2019 pup). All documentation was sent to NOAA
She may be the seal Marilyn saw on Saturday.
On my way back I rechecked Hidden Beach, Luana had left but the boys were still there.
More soon ๐ŸŒบ
,

No comments: