Thursday, November 14, 2019

November 14, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Early this morning Team Tammy & Dave and I went out on a mission, we were looking for specific wildlife but they were a no show.
Out in the NARS, we saw RO40 Ka'ena (M 20%) on Back Beach.
We got to see and document MANY Albatrosses. It's so nice to see and hear them again. Their are still many Wedge Tail Shearwater chicks getting ready to fledge, making walking around the fields a challenge not to step on those burrows. I can say that this team does it with the grace of ballet dancers

On our way out we stopped at Hidden Beach and a trio was waiting for us RN58 Luana, RR70 RIP and RW02 PVKauai (M+90%)
Team T&D got to see and document our 2 Snow Geese

I was just finishing this report when I got a call for a very small seal on the beach down the road. As I was driving down the driveway I saw a big seal down in front. I told myself the little one had priority and off I went.
What a pleasant surprise a little female as I waited to see her tags....an K41 flashed me. It was RK40 Napua , RK88 Puna's little cousin. It tightens my heart, I'll always miss that kid. I was blessed to be the first to see both of them at birth as well as their younger sibling RL20 Kalua their mom's RN58 Luana and RL42 Leia (a couple of hours after birth) and uncle RH32 Ka'ale. Nihoa's family and legacy.
One of these days I'll count how many pups I monitored over 12-14 years. Then I'll check the ones we did husbandry at so many different location and islands. We shared so much with DB, he would be in heaven with all the good news and finds we've had in the last couple of days.

Well back to seals. Heading back home I checked the big seal and IDed our lady R303 BG, she has already put on weight since her molt.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº


No comments: