Saturday, November 2, 2019

November 2, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

We had a rough start this morning
I went down very early to check the beach were the trio had been hauled out for the last several days. The beach was seal free but they left some smelly souvenirs all around.
From there I zoom across the "bay" and saw a seal. On my way there I was joined by my hiking pals so we headed out to check.  As we made it down the path from the house to our beach front we looked left the seal was there. Then by instinct I looked right an there was a seal just hauling out.
We started by the right side one and IDed RR70 RIP with a last patch of molt on his lower back, some on the top of his head = M 90%

Then we walked over to the other one. From far the hook shape scar on her neck gave her away RN58 Luana.

We had a little technical issue to deal with before heading out to the point. Once there we found R330 Squinty in the same pool he has been in since Wednesday. Easy to envy him, location was prime, private and peaceful. Definitely in front of everyone but still like a rock and very hard to spot if your eyes aren't seal oriented trained.

On our way in we saw the 2 Snow Geese bathing in one of the left over rain puddles. On is much lighter than the other.
I got a couple of calls from our posses these past 2 weeks asking me about the "Nēnēs" - I've explained that they are Snow Geese and told them what we know about them. Excitement is in the air and they all want to share what and where they are seeing them. That's the result of many years doing outreach and talking to fishermen along the coast.  All I can say it's a very rewarding feeling and I thank them for sharing.

Still on the lookout for first 🐳 sightings around this side. Albatross should also be showing up any time soon.  More soon 🌺




No comments: