Tuesday, November 5, 2019

November 5, 2019 (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

We woke up to big waves still rolling in, so I went down to check the beaches.
RW02 PVKauai was here in front. He has started his molt and is about 20%, that's including his shaved bellie. 
There was a second wallow near him and seal had entered the water not to long before I arrived. There were already many foot prints in the area. I was able to get a cool photo of him yawning before he turned his whole body and showed me his bellie. I was lucky because the only tag I could see in the previous position was covered in poop.
The smell reminded me of TMMC in the early mornings before getting pools cleaned, there was no wind this morning, the air was still and the smell ...
If you lost count here's the list of the seals that have molted here in front this season:
- RH32 Ka'ale
- RK40 Napua
- RN58 Luana
- RG40 Holokai (partly)
- RG28 Lefty (then moved to KPt/NARS)
- R303 BG
- RR70 RIP
- and now RW02 PVKauai

Later in the afternoon I went back to check on him and found he had been joined by RR70 RIP. Rip was very vocal and restless.
Photos show foot prints around RIP, they were the prints from this morning, he hauled out on top of them.  More tomorrow ðŸŒº


No comments: