Sunday, June 27, 2021

06/27/2021 (part 3) Lesley's Ka'ena Update from Saturday

My apologies for delay on this report. I literally fell asleep on the computer last night while doing all my reports.  All week I've been doing dawn patrols and every day I spot RP30 Puka already in the water foraging. RN58 Luana seems to be in a pre-molting behavior. She has been here for 7 days/nights. Yesterday RE74 Benny overnighted beside her. I headed to another beach to document 2 other overnighted seals R016 Right Spot and RG40 Holokai (TODAY is his BDay!!!!). 

Went back for some breakfast as the sun was rising. Diane arrived and we headed out, we did

the same route I had done earlier and were able to see RG28 Lefty swim towards Luana and Benny that were near the waterline. Lots of words, splashing and biting. Benny left and Lefty remained. Luana told "Da Boys" to hush it up a couple of times. Didn't see Benny again. In the late afternoon I went for a swim, Luana was alone and after a while she entered the water and left. Another seal hauled out down the beach, a crowd of young uneducated folks circled the seal and as usual there's always a silly show-off head that did a dance and got to close. Surfer friends got the kids away.  Later when I looked from up here the seal was no longer there.

Diane and I went on monitoring We saw RH32 Ka'ale, R3CX Nalu and on our way back a surprise to find RL98 Lina in an unusual haul out location.
Perhaps later I'll check the beaches
More soon - Be Safe 🌺

No comments: