Tuesday, January 9, 2024

January 9, 2024 (part 2) Rabbit Island

Direct from Marilyn:

I viewed Rabbit Island from Makai Pier from 1:15 to 3:45 pm. It was variously sunny and overcast. Winds were mostly moderate with occasional higher gusts.

Two people who work on the pier tried to contact me about 9 am this morning to tell me that two or three seals were again cavorting under the pier. Unfortunately I did not find the messages until almost noon.

When I first started viewing RI there were two seals on the island. By the time I finished my viewing session there were six seals on the island.

The two original seals were:

On LPB was what I think was R606: sub-adult size, light male belly, no tags and a nb on the RFF.

Near SRI was a Juvenile Female (JF): smaller juvenile size, yellowish tan female belly and two red tags.

About 2:06 I became aware that three seals had hauled out near each other and the 1BS. I'm guessing this was the group of seals seen earlier under the pier. I'm labeling these three seals as:

Unknown Adult (UA): adult size, newer coat, not sure about tags or sex.

Adult Male (AM): adult size, medium gray male belly and two red tags.

RK24 Wawamalu/Bruno: adult size, light mottled gray male belly, two red tags and a scar on the lower lip.

At 2:14 pm, I became aware that a seal had hauled out and up into the dunes between 3BS and SRI. Later this seal moved back down to the beach. I think this is RP24 Mohala (RF34 Pua's 2021 pup born on RI): juvenile to sub-adult size, older coat, light female belly, two red tags and nb on her LFF.



Rabbit Island

No comments: