Sunday, September 11, 2011

9-11-11 DB Dailies and More

The Dawn Patrol arrived at AD at 0545. Irma and pup were lolling in the shallows , mid compound. Unfortunately, things went rapidly down hill after that.  It was a big party.... apparently a birthday party, according to components of the 3 garbage bags of cans, bottles and assorted trash, (including birthday candles), collected by Lesley.

 Partying wasn't enough apparently. They also needed to tear down most of the east end of the fencing, knocking down 10 poles, and destroying 5 of them. The bent "Mom & Pup" sign was found thrown onto the beach. I am about as disgusted with my fellow man asit is possible to be. We rebuilt the fence and the day continued.

Irma and Kaiwi had a pretty routine day. Lots of swim time, lots of feeds, and a move outside the west end of the fence for a couple of hours. We extended the west end with cones, signs and rope. They thankfully moved back within the established compound at 1303.

Dana called at 1438 with the report of an animal at Kaupo Beach Park. When I arrived at 1451 I found Benny (RE74) on the beach. He was run off at 1615.

The Rabbit Island cast for today was Nani (RK60), Kolohe (RW22) and Duke (RA12) at Seal Rock Inlet, and an U/F at the far left end of the beach. I saw no tags, and no identifiable markers. She had a new coat on, and had the slack abdomen of a girl who had recently weaned. I could rule out Rocky, and anybody else is a possibility. I'm thinkin' M&M, but ???????????

Posse member Alissa Rodgers called at 1215 to advise of an animal on the Mokes, being besieged with waaaaaaay too many kayakers on that island. She called D Schofield who said he would call DOCARE. I have no further word.


** I received a couple of calls regarding the seal on the Mokes.... there were several calls into the hot line (good news is people are calling in).... it's unclear HOW bothered the animal was as I spoke to a gentleman named Tom who described the seal as unresponsive... that water from the shore line was washing over her and people within a couple feet of "her" and there was no response from the seal.  I also got a description she had wounds... but upon further questioning it sounded as though there were scars.... What I was able to determine was no tags and lots of algae... I was awaiting photos but they never arrived. 
*** In addition I spent time on the phone with the Kailua Sailboard &Kayak who are willing to have their tour people watch over the seal on Monday during their 4 hour tour .... I will keep ya posted. ***

Vera Cober sent her usual outstanding photo for the "Yesterday's News" file at Turtle Bay, and Karen Turner supplied today's shots. Thank You to both of you.


Shame on these people!  Totally unnecessary to have done this.... and to leave such a mess !





The clean up crew 
 Kaiwi looking fine... no wear of tear
 Hoping Mom and Pup weren't affected by the idiots from the evening
 looks like we have a change in color in her muzzle
 Like mom like daughter neither look very comfortable
 Cool tail shot...
Irma looking thinner
Nice to see Kaiwi swimming
 Wheeeee!
 Irma and Kaiwi
 Benny Boy @ Kaupo Beach Park - Great shot DB 

1 comment:

LAURAY said...

DB, Marilyn, and Lesley...first, I would like to thank you for ALL that you do each and every day. Secondly, I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you had to be the folks to come upon the mess and damage left behind by those idiots. It pains me to see how disrespectful some people are. It saddens me deeply that these folks don't understand the concept of caring for and respecting nature. AUWE!

Da kahuna goin' take care of them.