Monday, September 26, 2011

9-25-11 DB Dailies and More

At 0545 the Dawn Patrol found Kaiwi lolling in her favorite tide pool. She would remain there until 1045 when she hauled out just to the west of the tide pool, for a 1 hr snooze. She reentered the water at 1145 and ranged beyond the east end of the fence, and extention cones and rope, thankfully returning to her tide pool. She hauled out again at 1225, for a snooze. On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0804

I found Nani (RK60) on the beach, 60 ft left of 1BS. At 0808, Kolohe (RW22) would move down and into my line of sight, to join Nani. There was interaction, initiated by Nani, and then both settle down for the rest of the day. I'd last seen Nani on 9-16, and was beginning to stress a bit. Kolohe's last sighting was on 9-19.

 On a 1255 on a Blowhole check, I found what would prove to be Duke (RA12) and M&;M (R020) together. I had seen neither at RI today, and more importantly, after 14 days of indecision about the ID on the U/F at RI, I think I have the answer. Though my pathetic photos don't show proof, I saw a right face scar, and a left head scar, plus the new coat, and no tags, which when checked against my photo database, confirmed the M&M ID.

Team Billand check in at 0748 to report Kermit (R4DG) on the reef at Wind Sock. He would later move to the beach at the same location. Team Billand called at 1507 to advise that posse member Eileen , on the Reef Runway had called to report both Ewa Girl (RS00) and Kekoa (RK72) on the birth beach.

 In the Yesterday's News department, I found more excellent Vera Cober shots awaiting me this morning. La'akea (RK82) looks fat& happy, and her garbage shots beyond Kahuku Point show just how bad we all know it is out there at "the back of beyond". She also provide shots of a molting female, beyond Kahuku Point. The hind flipper shots (if blown up enough) suggest Right Spot. According my records the timing is also right, and her last sighting (Diga) was at this location. My dollar is on Right Spot.

 Ka Iwi hanging out in the shallows 
 Nani and Kolohe
 
 Duke and M+M
 Ka Iwi @ camp irma
 she soooo plump
 It isn't easy being green
 Kermit @ windsock

No comments: