Friday, August 13, 2021

8/13/2021 (part two) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

 

Aloha all - apologies for being quiet for so long. Work and more have been overwhelming. Although I haven't gotten to the blog all seals have been reported daily.

Today I had a crop of seals. I started my morning with RG40 Holokai overnighted here in front and further down the beach I saw a bump. It turned out to be RE74 Benny who ended up spending all day on the beach.
Next I found and exhausted weaner. RP30 Puka was in an extremely deep sleep when /I first saw him. I sat down to make sure he was breathing - hadn't done that for a very long time. He was still there on my second check.
The surprise of the day was to find RH76 Kala sleeping on a reef. While I was watching her a
set came in , spooked her, she woke up and left.
Further R330 Squinty spent the day sleeping on a reef
RL98 Lina and R3CX Nalu were hauled out side-by-side sleeping. 
RO40 Ka'ena was sleeping on an outer reef. I sat and observed him for a long time there was no face scratching or head shaking. That is how we have seen him all week. I'm comfortable to say he is no longer hooked. If he, is it is definitely not bothering him.
RL74 Kami
 is going thru her molt nicely. Today she slept thru the morning without scratching herself. She's ~60% molted.
The Shearwater chicks are hatching and are everywhere. They are adorable cotton balls. Our last LAAL fledged a week ago.
Yesterday Team Tammy & Dave and I saw Koleas arriving at the point.
More soon - Be Safe 🌺

No comments: