Tuesday, July 9, 2019

July 9, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

We received a correction today. What we thought to be a new seal around and was given a R405 ID is in fact R333 (M) that while visiting Ni'ihau got an 10 bleach.
So "Templo" is no longer "Templo"...

I went down early cause I had a full agenda today. As I arrived at Birth Beach I got to see RH32 "Ka'ale" hauling out. Apparently he was here yesterday during the day. I saw him again a couple of times today and on my last sunset check he was up the beach for the night. Seems we have a pre-molter around.
RL20 "Kalua" was foraging in his mamas favorite cove. On my second check he was hauled out on rocks on the opposite side of the beach and at sunset he was back in the water exploring other coves.

Out at Ka'ena Pt I found RG28 "Lefty" hauled out on the coral tongue of Main Beach.

On my way back I stopped to check on "Ka'ale" and "Kalua". While doing outreach with Benita she pointed out to a seal swimming by. It was RW02 "PVKauai" , he went straight to "Ka'ale" and there was a brief interaction. They settled dow and went to sleep. "Kalua" on the other side of the beach hadn't a clue of what was going on.

Today was the first sighting of RW02 "PVKauai" after his release down the beach yesterday. Soon the story of his hooking, capture, overnight at a B&B and release will be out with details.
I'm exhausted but have a big smile on my face.  More tomorrow 🌺

No comments: