Monday, July 22, 2019

July 22, 2019 Monk Seal Dailies

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand, Melody and my Rabbit Island Observation.
Please make sure you read part 2 of today's dailies, it was a very special day for PO5. 

After a very special morning with Pohaku and PO5 Team Billand checked in at a couple of west side locations.
They found Lei Ola RH48 and RN14 Kalani both in the pond snoozing along side each other. Team Billand was happy to find RN14 with a female to hangout with instead of his bugging Pohaku and getting lickings.

Next stop they found two seals side by side. One of them was da Benny RE74 and the other was RG28.  RG28 has a new and very large cookie cutter bite in his belly near his penis. 
Benny went over to him to sniff him out, RG28 reacted by barking at him.

Last but not least Team Billand spotted another seal and when they went to check it out it was Ka'ale RH32. The green machine has returned from Mokuliea, still looking oh so green. He was alone to the right snoozing on the rocks.

I went to Makai Pier late this afternoon for an hour. When I arrived there were three critters. One small seal was tucked up against the cliff at left point beach. 
 I assume this was PO5, based on its' size but I cannot be sure. The entire time I was there the critter moved very little.

There were two seals to the right of LPB and about 20-30 feet of the first blue sign. Initially, I thought they were juvenile size, both were dry and with lots of green on their coats and belly.

While I was panning the island another two seals hauled out in front of the two green critters. The two approached the two and there was minimal interaction, but I did observe at least three female bellies, the other was a complete unknown. 
Let's just say I felt I was playing the 3 shell game with 4 monk seals. There was movement between them, I could tell you who was who. 
The photos didn't help but they did come out better than I expected since it was very over cast.
In summary 5 critters - (one weaner, three females, and one unknown).


 Benny RE74 and RG28
 Poor guy that's nasty  RG28 cookie cutter bite
 RH32 Ka'ale 
 Lei Ola RH48 & RN14 Kalani
Pohaku & PO5
 Rabbit Island 2 critters left of 1BS
 3 critters on the move
 mixing it up and shaking it about
 four critters who is who? 
 little lump against the cliffs PO5

No comments: