Saturday, October 27, 2018

10/27/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Hawaiian Monk Seal Count Day !

I went out at 7:30am and started the day with 3 seals.
From the driveway I looked down towards Camp Erdman Point I saw 2 seals on the sandbank.
RW02 "PVKauai" was in front of our main beach access.
I made it to CE Pt and IDed RN58 "Luana" and R330 "Squinty"
I waited till 9am to place the call so they could go into the count.
All 3 spent all day in the same places - last saw them at sunset

RK88 "Puna" was on the side of his favorite cove @ Ponds - hours later on my way out he was still there.

RO40 "Ka'ena" was hauled out on the island reef in the Main Pool - he has been there for a while. Molt should be starting soon.

Back out the gate I did a loop starting at Birth Beach, from far I saw that there was a big seal down there. to my surprise it was RR70 "RIP".
His molt is more than 40%.   More tomorrow 🌺


No comments: