Friday, October 26, 2018

10/26/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Another 2 in 1 report

Only this morning did I notice that I hadn't sent the report last night, too much going on...

Yesterday, Thursday, when I went down in front of our beach path I found little RK40 "Napua" sleeping peacefully. Looking towards our KPt side beach access I saw a big shinny seal galumphing up the sandbank. It was R303 "BG", there were several trails were she was, she certainly did an overnight and perhaps there could have been another seal there with her.
From there I looked towards Camp Erdman and saw the familiar shape on the sandbank. I got the car & drove over. It was RN58 "Luana" - she has spent several days there since last week.
In the late afternoon I went down to check on the three and only "BG" was there. She had moved up all the way to the Naupaka line.

This morning Tammy and I despite the heavy rain decided to stick to plan and go out together.
We started here in front and all beaches were seal free.
Our first seal was little RK88 "Puna" @ 10Mnts Beach - when we came back hours later he was still there.
At Hidden Beach R330 "Squinty" was hauled out between the waterline and the sandbank.
Sandbank = the big surfer carved big tall steep sandbanks on our side of the coast.

In the NARS RO40 was hauled out on the reef island in the center of the Main Pool. He may be in a pre-molt, he did a nice turn to show us his chest and the fur there seems to already be ruffled up.
On Back Beach RR70 "RIP" was hauled out up on the sandy part of the beach. His molt his aprox.40% . He was rubbing his chin on a rock, trying to get rid of that horrible itchy molt. We saw him gliding down towards the waterline before we left.

We made it back soaking wet but still smiling - All seals were called in by Tammy.

I just realized that I only saw girls yesterday and boys today. Perhaps a mixed day tomorrow?  More tomorrow ðŸŒº

No comments: